In Whose Interests

Any organisation’s plan for a top-down review of development would ordinarily be welcome news. Self evaluation, or even better independent evaluation is an ongoing process amongst professionals, individually and collectively alike. In the case of the SFA however a healthy scepticism is required. We are after all dealing with people who are the poster boys for self-interest and short-termism.

The SFA had previously commissioned a thorough review of the game (decades ago) by Rinus Michels, the inventor of “Total Football” and his report was largely ignored, partly because it implied criticism of the then current regime, and partly because it would cost money. A “Total Shambles”.

Henry McLeish also famously recommended (again after being commissioned to do so by the SFA) a more balanced approach to governance between the SFA and SPFL. This would have required a blazer or two having less say in the running of the game – and was therefore ignored.

Mark Wotte, the prominent Dutch coach hired as performance director at Hampden also suggested during his tenure that, in order to improve technique, more ball time should be provided for players in games.

He recommended seven a side competitions as the norm for u-15s (less players – more participation).

To accommodate this, club infrastructures would have required expensive upgrading, and coaches in clubs, not responsive to new ideas lobbied hard for the status quo.

The upshot is that we carried on with the same eleven-a-side games where many players hardly got a kick.
And in this classic Einsteinean definition of insanity, no overall improvements were to be found in the national team’s fortunes.

No wonder Wotte fled the scene in 2014 after three years.

Of course the details are debatable and subjective, but experience tells us;
Anything that
a) costs money or
b) upsets old boys’ networks
has a tendency to be hidden out of sight.

The recent “announcement” is merely a reaction to a couple of poor results, caused in part by inaction in the wake of previous reports’ recommendations.

An increasing number of observers of our game refer to an inferior mindset amongst players in Scotland, that we accept losing as the norm.

Hardly surprising that such a mindset is prevalent amongst professionals.
They must despair at the chronic self-interest, ineptitude and fecklessness of the “leaders” of our sport – an organisation that appointed Gordon Smith as CE (think about that for a minute) based on who his pals were, where McGregor and Petrie can become senior officers – “because it’s his turn!” – despite being unqualified squares in a round ball game, and where fairy-tales take precedence over reality.

As long as the blazers have a seat on the SFA bus, nothing will change.

1. Higgy's Shoes 25th September 2019 at 12:58

So, how dirty is your team?

==========================

I don't think that the disciplinary league table as presented is a fair one as teams have played different numbers of games.

What is not is dispute are the fines that the SFA saw fit to levy on Hearts for their "indiscipline" over successive seasons.

2004/05 £5,000
    2005/06 £10,000
    2006/07 £20,000
    2007/08 £40,000 (£10,000 suspended)
    2008/09 £50,000 (£10,000 suspended)
    2009/10 £60,000 (£10,000 suspended)
    2010/11 £100,000 (£40,000 suspended)
    2011/12 £5,000 (changes to disciplinary protocols implemented)
    2012/13 £6.000
    2013/14 £7,000
    2014/15 £0
    2015/16 £5,000
    2016/17 £6,000
    2017/18 £7,000
    2018/19 £0

I don't think that any other club has ever been subject to such a punitive scale of sanctions over the same period.

View Comment

2. I do not watch CL or the EPL, I will never give them my time or money.  FFP does not exist and these tournament's highlight what is wrong with football..

3. StevieBC @ 13.33

Is seems like a lot of footy fans – myself included – find the CL increasingly predictable and even boring.

—————————————————————————————————-

For those of us who are outside the "elite" yes. I think the same could be said for the SPL and football in Scotland in general. Not since 1984/85 has any team other than (old) Rangers or Celtic won the top division. How has this arisen? The simple answer is that the other teams have not been good enough. Why not? Well money is the biggest reason with these 2 teams having greater resources ( yes one of them went bust) generated by much larger supports allowing them to succeed are generate more money from prize money, UEFA earnings, sponsorship, hospitality, retail, TV etc etc. The whole football "business" is money driven and has been for a considerable time. Can we change that? I'm thinking not sadly.

ps I'm off up to Tynecastle tonight to see what promises to be a s***e game between 2, at best, average teams. I must be aff ma heid!!

4. @ Ex Ludo 1509hrs:

I'm sceptical/cynical enough to wonder what the tone of the questioning was for the interview. Klopp also apparently said that Dalglish (who hasn’t worked in management since 2012) would probably be first-choice if he (Klopp) was sacked.

Two minutes of research reveals that the source material comes from Klopp being interviewed by the comedian (so some people say!) John Bishop, therefore both the questions & the answers may be rather tongue-in-cheek. It's also not a standalone interview: it’s an extract from a book, entitled 'A Game Of Two Halves: Famous Football Fans Meet Their Heroes'. Remember, buy early for Christmas…

5. Ex Ludo 25th September 2019 at 15:09
    …………………….
    I wonder if it is natural for an under 18 coach at Liverpool who moves to scotland and has never won a trophy to become the first choice if a management position becomes available at liverpool. Somehow i don’t think it is.

View Comment

6. On the subject of European football I loved the days when there were three knock out tournaments, and it was quite clear how you qualified for them. The European Champions Cup was for genuine Champions only, but the other two cups were high quality too. However the knock out nature of the tournaments never did suit the wealthiest clubs and now it has probably gone too far the other way.

Had Spurs won the Champions League last year they would have done so having never won the league in their own country since 1961. What an appalling state of affairs. I accept Liverpool have not won the league for a long time either but they at least have a history in the Champions Cup.

7. upthehoops 25th September 2019 at 18:53

'… I loved the days when there were three knock out tournaments, and it was quite clear how you qualified for them. '

+++++++++++++

Nostalgia-wise, uth,I loved the days of truthful innocence, when , for example, clubs that went into Liquidation were understood, however regretfully , to have ceased to exist in the same way as say, Thomas Cook travel, or Gretna, or Third Lanark, or (potentially)  the Wright bus company in nor'n Ireland.

I was struck by the fact that the Wright buses were called 'Boris buses'.

Somewhere in my puzzled brain there is an association of ideas:

'Thomas Cook' /liquidation,

Wright /'Boris buses'

Boris/ lying

RFC liquidation/SFA lies

SFA lies/ rotten corruption of the sport of Assocation Football

Just the way the mind works, I suppose, given the crap we were fed, and continue to be fed, about the club that will meet Hearts in the semi-final after tonight's games being  the Rangers of 1872!

8. Headline in the DM today;

"FIFA vote-rigging storm: Captains and coaches claim they DID NOT vote for Lionel Messi for The Best award – and now FIFA reveal Egypt's vote for Salah was rejected because it was written in CAPITAL LETTERS"

======

A timely reminder, perhaps, of the scale of the challenge to have an honest and transparent SFA?

When the global football governing body – FIFA – can't even organise a fluffy 'Best Player' award in a universally accepted open and honest manner…

then the Internet Bampots in Scotland have an Everest-size mountain to climb to have our own wee, local SFA replaced with a competently run organisation!

heart

9. StevieBC 26th September 2019 at 13:23

'.. the Internet Bampots in Scotland have an Everest-size mountain to climb to have our own wee, local SFA replaced with a competently run organisation! '

+++++++++++++++++

.The journalists of the continental European Press appear not to be afraid to ask critical questions of FIFA and UEFA.

In our wee country, there is not  a single sports  journalist employed by any of our newspapers or by the BBC or other broadcast organisations who has in print or on air publicly condemned the SFA for lying about the true status of TRFC as being a seven-years-old club with no sporting history going back further than 2012.

No power on earth can make that SFA lie magiclly turn into the Truth.

Nor has there been any reference by 'serious' journalists to the fact that the club whose shares were marketed by RIFC plc as being the shares of RFC of 1872 were not the shares of the liquidated RFC of 1872 but of SevcoScotland renamed TRFC.

No power on earth can obliterate that truth.

There is a deep,deep,deep rottenness in the Scottish Press and in the Scottish business and commercial world that is far more deeply corrosive than the rottenness at the heart of Scottish Football.

10. JC 13:58PM

"The journalists of the continental European Press appear not to be afraid to ask critical questions of FIFA and UEFA."

——————————————————-

Perhaps they can ask questions about this!

Barcelona have been fined, wait for it,

300 Euros, yes 300 Euros, for tapping Antoine Greizmann from Athletico Madrid.

HS

11. John Clark 26th September 2019 at 13:58

===================================

Last night I watched 'The Papers' on BBC Scotland, which covered the demise of newspapers in Scotland. The digital age is of course a contributor to that, but what struck me was the utter arrogance shining through that the media is a great bastion of truth and democracy. They are only out to earn a living like the rest of us, but some humbleness would not go amiss. I do not wish anyone out of a job, but I am really glad I no longer buy newspapers. There are as many liars in their midst as there is in any other section of society.

View Comment

12. You will remember, perhaps, that I wrote to the FCA some time ago; to Mr Bailey CEO on 25 June, with a reminder on 29 July, followed in the absence of a reply from him, with a letter to Mr Randell CBE, Chairman, on 13 August, with a reminder to him on 4 September.

I received a reply on 6 September on their behalf from a chap with the wonderfully Dickensian name of Pete Scrivener, of the Customer Contact Service of the FCA.

Mr Scrivener regretted that none my letters had been found, and suggested that it would be useful if I could provide copies,  further suggesting that 'for a more timely response'  I could email copies directly to 'our CEO's office using the following email address..'

On 11 September I duly emailed copies of the four pieces of correspondence. There was no technical problem , and the email was sent, according to the machine.

Today, 15 days later , not having had any acknowledgement never mind a 'more timely response', of receipt of that email I sent this to Mr Scrivener:

"to: ceocorrespondence@fca.org.uk

to:Mr Pete Scrivener

Dear Mr Scrivener,

Am I to expect any acknowledgement of,or reply to, my email of 11 September replying to your letter of 6 September ?

I replied to you by email because you suggested that that might provide me with a 'more timely' response!

Yours sincerely,  "

—-

The absence of a simple reply such as 'you're talking rubbish' or' you are quite wrong, and the FCA's hands are entirely clean and there was nothing wrong with the RIFC plc Prospectus' makes me think that they may have  problem.

It is an undeniable fact that the shares being offered in the IPO Prospectus were not (could not possibly) have been shares in the liquidated Rangers of 1872. They were shares in RIFC plc in the share swap for SevcoScotland shares.

It is also an undeniable fact that the Prospectus emphasised the achievements of the 'most successful club in football history' with the very clear implication that that was the football club that was the main business of RIFC pl.When in fact, the football club that constituted and constitutes the business of RIFC plc is the seven-years-old club set up as SevcoScotland and name-chaanged The Rangers Football Club shortly after its birth.

Perhaps the FCA thinks that if they ignore me I will go away?

Or (and perhaps more likely) they do have a problem with clearing mail. ( They are not pukka Civil Servants, after all!mail)

View Comment

13. Small question if i may? Some weeks ago there was a discussion on Celtics Bayo being awarded two goals that had gone in by deflection. In the end i believe both goals were awarded as OG's.

Was the ibrox player who last night had a shot deflected into goal awarded the goal or was it awarded as an OG?

14. Higgy's Shoes 26th September 2019 at 16:46

'… 300 Euros, yes 300 Euros….'

+++++++++++++

My first reaction, Higgyy's shoes, was that there must have been a misprint: even a regulation ball doesn't cost as much as that!

My second reaction was to have a look at the judgment. I couldn't find it on the UEFA 'disciplinary' pages, but I was looking rather hurriedly under pressure of time. It might be there , but if it is I must have been looking in the wrong place.

There sometimes (?) seems to be no rhyme or reason to the SFA's 'punishments' . For UEFA to fine a club what is no more than a derisory token fine for what I imagine is a 'crime' of some seriousness really does require explanation.

15. Cluster One 26th September 2019 at 22:17

'.. Small question if i may? .'

+++++++++++

In trying to find the answer to your question, CO 1, I found myself on the SFA website.

I regret to say that I lost sight of your question when I read this:

"Walking Football Scotland Chairman Gary McLaughlin has been recognised for his dedication to the sport by UEFA as the silver prize winner of the Best Grassroots Leader category in the UEFA Grassroots Awards 2019."

Mrs C said to me (when I mentioned it to her a minute ago when she came in to put the kettle on )" Is there a  place near you?"

It has certainly piqued my interest. But I suppose I'm well over age. I shall make diligent enquiry!

PS I suppose Bayo can ask his own questions about his entitlement to credit in the very important matter of goal-scoring achievement

16. Mine of 22.54 above:

My apologies, Cluster One ,for using 'CO 1' in addressing your comment; slip of the pen/keyboard. I do know the difference between Corrupt Official and Cluster One.

17. Cluster One 26th September 2019 at 22:17

====================================================

18. shug 27th September 2019 at 07:48
    …………………
    It looks that way.

19. Shug and Cluster One

======================

As far as I know if a shot is on target and takes a deflection the player still gets the credit for the goal.

Quite why there was such a clamour to ensure Bayo's goals were counted as OG's against Hearts we can only speculate, because there was never a definitive camera angle to prove beyond doubt either of them were. Having been behind the first one I am more inclined to think it may have been an OG. The second one Bayo got to first in my view and it was on target so it was his goal. In the case of Levein and the Hearts players it probably mitigates the defeat in their professional mind. In the case of the media it was to put a negative slant on a deserved Celtic victory in my view. Rangers were going to sweep all before them this year and they don't like the fact Celtic under Lennon are more than up for them, and are winning fairly comfortably. The media coverage in the build up to the recent Rangers v Celtic game at Ibrox has to be the most biased, subjective coverage for many a long year.  I have spoken to a large number of Celtic fans, and all of them say the media coverage in the build up made it the most satisfying victory over any Rangers* team for a long time.

20. upthehoops 27th September 2019 at 09:20
    Quite why there was such a clamour to ensure Bayo’s goals were counted as OG’s against Hearts we can only speculate,
    ……………………..
    Celtic can’t have another goal scoring machine. Hard enough trying to compare morelos to one celtic stricker never mind two. Poor LG when he comes back every goal could be counted as an OG.;-)

View Comment

21. David Murray is still trying to cheat the tax man. The man has no shame.

THE family business of former Rangers owner Sir David Murray fell into the red in its most recent financial year, with accounts hit by an exceptional charge of £1.2 million for a tax liability it had previously challenged.

Edinburgh-based Murray Capital Group made a loss of £1.75m before tax for the year ended December 31, which saw the firm continue to invest in its property development business. It made a profit of £360,000 the year before.

Accounts newly filed at Companies House show the turnover climbed to £78.7m from £73.4m, driven by an increase in revenues generated by Murray Metals, the group’s metal stockholding and processing business. Murray Metals, which supplies the construction, manufacturing and oil and gas sectors, mostly in England, is the group’s largest trading asset.

The accounts show the group made a £1.5m gain on the sale of investments. However it booked an exceptional item of £1.209m, relating to the tax treatment of payments made under a share-based payment scheme run by a portfolio company. The charge accounted for the bulk of Murray's pre-tax losses for the year.

View Comment

22. In today's 'The Scotsman',  Professor Grant Jarvie of Edinburgh University (yes, friend of Regan and dismisser , in a patronising manner,of the 'Big Lie' cheating charge against the SFA as arising from nothing more than a bit of ' west-coast inter-club rivalry ' ) has a centre-page piece urging adoption of the 13 recommendations he makes in his 'The Jarvie Report 2019:A review of the Scottish Sporting Landscape'

In his piece, Professor Jarvie gives only 8 of the commendations. None of these relate to  matters such as professional and moral integrity in sports governance and administration and participation, and the mechanisms need to ensure , where any public money is involved in any sport, that that sport operates  cleanly, sportingly and fairly at every level and in all aspects.

I would have thought that any review of sport would make   at least a mention of the ethos of sport, as well as advancing suggestions for improving the chances of achieving success.

But perhaps notions of fair play and sportsmanship get in the way of 'success' and partisanship in sports governance.

View Comment

23. Well, that's a bit demoralizing.

7+ years along the road and some things stay the same;

– Murray is still being a dodgy chancer, re: HMRC liabilities, and he's still a wealthy Knight of the Realm.

&

– an Ibrox club is still recklessly splashing the cash it can't afford – and still generating a massively disproportionate amount of negativity right across Scottish football, for a multitude of reasons.

angel

View Comment

24. JC, after a quick Google search…

That's the Professor Grant Jarvie…

• who is/was an appointee of Stewart Regan
    • who is on the SFA's Equality & Diversity Board
    • [I'm assuming] in a paid SFA advisory position?

If any – knowledgeable – academic willingly chose to associate with Regan and/or the SFA…

then any reasonable person would have to seriously question that academic's judgement – IMO. Professor or not.

And subsequently, the impartiality of any related, research output would also have to be seriously questioned – IMO.

View Comment

25. People like Murray cheat the taxpayer by instinct and principle. They don’t see anything wrong with not contributing, as they view tax as theft of their personal wealth – which comes about as a consequence of their ability to enrich themselves on the labour of others or a bit of inside knowledge of the markets – or a contract awarded by a pal.
    There is no moral compass either so it is difficult to find a direction in their path and thus predict what they will do next.
    The trouble is that our system of government not only allows this. It actively encourages it.

View Comment

26. Cluster One 27th September 2019 at 08:56 shug 27th September 2019 at 07:48 That seems like a silly question Cluster One kamara plays for the establishment club so it has to go down as his goal it would only be an own goal if he played for someone else. ………………… It looks that way. Everyone was quick to dismiss Bayos goals and award OG’s. But i have not seen the same dismissal of the ibrox players attempt on goal, so was just wondering what the difference was but as you say the simple reason may just be that kamara plays for the ibrox club club so it has to go down as his goal.

View Comment

27. Summary of Celtic's annual accounts just published.

Financial Highlights

·    Group revenue decreased by 17.9% to £83.4m (2018: £101.6m)

·    Operating expenses including labour decreased by 0.2% to £86.9m (2018: £87.1m)

·    Gain on sale of player registrations of £17.7m (2018: £16.5m)

·    Acquisition of player registrations of £6.2m (2018: £16.6m)

·    Profit before taxation of £11.3m (2018: £17.3m)

·    Year-end cash net of bank borrowings of £28.6m (2018: £36.1m)

·    Year-end net cash, net of debt and debt like items, of £38.9m (2018: £27.0m)

View Comment

28. Further to the Celtic accounts above, it is evident that the club has kept it's spending up, while absorbing the loss of CL income, so much so that their operating expenses were greater than their revenue.

The gain on the sale of players' registrations keeps the club profitable and there is also another unexplained sum of £8.795m for "Other Income".  I assume that amount was the compensation paid to the club by Leicester for the termination of Brendan Rodgers' contract.

View Comment

29. I suppose it's a sign of CFC's financial wellbeing, when a reduced pre tax profit of 'only' £11M might be met with general ambivalence by the support.

I guess the SMSM will try to create some drama around the drop in profit and revenue too.

But, if RIFC could produce numbers resembling anything remotely like these next month…

it would be guaranteed to put a huge smile across King's coupon!

In stark contrast to the CFC accounts…

the RIFC draft accounts will currently be handled by all concerned at Ibrox very reluctantly – like a smelly thing deposited on a pavement by a desperate dog!

indecision

30. bigboab1916 27th September 2019 at 16:41
    ………………..
    One of the factors i was thinking off, but just could not get it down. So simple when you see it written down.
    ……………..
    Would it make sense to suggest that goals attributed increase the players value. So if Bayo is given goals his value and Celtics fortunes will only rise and this makes it an impossible task to challenge Celtic. Every little helps and all that from our friends in the media to keep Celtic players value down.Thanks for that.

View Comment

31. Nice to see two new clubs getting together!

Bengaluru FC ( founded 2013) are 'partnering' TRFC (founded 2012) over the next two years.

(But I  wonder whether Bengaluru were told that TRFC is not the Rangers of 1872?)

View Comment

32. Further to my post of 22.51,I have tried to find the email address of the CEO of the company that owns Bengaluru FC and the email address of the club, in order to send a wee message!

I tried the 'contact us' bit on the club's site, but just got the PR page.

I have to say that it took me a minute or two to realise that 'bengaluru' or'banguluru' is what we know from the English history we were taught, is Bangalore, in the deep south of India.

I mention that because just a few weeks ago Mrs C and I fell into conversation on Portobello beach promenade with a  lovely youngish couple and their wee boy from that part of the world as we waited in the queue at the ice-cream van.

We have their phone number, and I will try to make contact with them, and possibly get them to translate the letter that I think I feel compelled to send to the club or the CEO at their postal addresses.

Isn't life full of little serendipities?broken heart

33. StevieBC 27th September 2019 at 12:49

'.. And subsequently, the impartiality of any related, research output would also have to be seriously questioned – '

++++++++++++

Agreed.

As a general rule of life nobody bites the hand of those who commission them, pay them, 'prefer' them, or might be instrumental in getting them an 'honour' of any kind for 'for services to whatever' .

There are serious questions to be asked about the governance of Scottish Football. Not the least of these are questions about its integrity and truthfulness and partisanship in the matter of the liquidation of Rangers Football club of 1872.

The questions have not been asked except by us.

That gives me a problem.

View Comment

34. Credit where credit is due: I am no particular admirer of the man as a sports journalist, but I enjoyed the closing paragraph of Alan Pattullo's  puff piece ( in today's 'Scotsman') advertising Ian Murray MP's book about the troubled times at Tynecastle and the heroic, successful escape from Administration and the avoidance of  death by Liquidation .

Having quoted Murray as saying " writing the book……has been a nice escape from the madness down here at Westminster", Pattullo's last paragraph is

" 'This is our Story:How the Fans Kept their Hearts Beating' is available to purchase on the official Hearts website. Order,order"

View Comment

35. Out of the many things that have exercised the minds of the ruling and ruled classes this week it seems that our Prime Minister's biggest concern is that he should be able to call the European Union (Withdrawal) (No.2) Act 2019 the Surrender Act.

Fair enough.

Presumably he would be equally relaxed if the cases of Joanna Cherry and Gina Miller were referred to as the Court of Session Carnage case or the Supreme Court Massacre case.

It's a sobering thought that if the numbers permitted the said Act could be subverted in what could only be described (if you're being consistent) as the No Surrender Act.

36. Ex Ludo 28th September 2019 at 20:45

'… Shape of things to come in Qatar? ..'

++++++++++++++++

I note that at least one reply to Alex Thomson's tweet, reminds him about the corruption in Scottish Football!

I've often wondered why Thomson did not defy the 'journalists' who threatened him when he spoke critically of the whole 'Rangers' saga, and really get torn into the 5-Way Agreement and the nonsensical lie that TRFC are Rangers of 1872.

It is such a 'good story' on many different levels .

What a brilliant programme could have been made: perhaps a 40 minute exposeé  on Channel 4 detailing the original Press admissions that Liquidation ends a football club's existence, the subsequent about-turn, the panic, the political interventions, the name-changes to try to hide the fact that it was Rangers of 1872 that had gone down the plug-hole, 'Club 12', Sevco 5088 and the 'novation' to SevcoScotland  and of course the 5-Way Agreement, not to mention reaching back to dodgy licensing practices, the setting up of RIFC plc on  a palpably misleading IPO Prospectus, etc etc.

40-minute exposee? What am I saying? Geez, there was material there for a 26-week series!!

I do hope that he was not frightened off, or ‘leaned on’ by more senior execs in Channel 4 ( wouldn’t put it past them!) but considered that a programme  about a grubby provincial tiddler of a sports governance body with inflated ideas of its 'world' importance would not justify the time and energy required to make it.

I do wish he had made such a programme, though.

View Comment

• Just to be consistent ( what's the point otherwise?) I found an email address for bengalurufc.
    • Acting on oor Rabbie's famous dictum 'facts are chiels that winnae ding' , I have sent this :
    • To:bengalurufcsocial@gmail.com     28 Sep at 23:17
    • "Dear ( in the absence of a named individual) Bengaluru Football Club,

Namaste.

I was most interested to read of the 'partnering' arrangement you have entered into with 'The Rangers Football Club'.

I was puzzled, however, by the remarks made by the respectable Mr Mandar Tamhane.

He seemed to be under the impression that 'The Rangers Football Club' is the old, very successful football club that was founded in Glasgow in 1872.

In reality, Rangers Football Club that was founded in 1872 went into Liquidation in 2012.It ceased to exist as a football club, losing its membership of the then Scottish Premier League and its entitlement to membership of the Scottish Football Association.

The club that is now called 'The Rangers Football Club' is a club that was set up in 2012( just one  year  before your club was set up!) as SevcoScotland, which applied for membership of the then Scottish Premier League and was denied membership.

• It then applied for membership of the then Scottish Football League Division 1 ( not admitted) and Division 2 (not admitted). Finally, it was admitted to Division 3 of the Scottish Football League, and was allowed membership of the Scottish Football Association.

Liquidation causes a club to die.

As was recognised by the media in 2012, the Rangers of 1872 ceased to exist, ceased to be able to participate in professional football, and, accordingly, ceased to be able to add to its sporting achievements, which remain frozen in time.

Your new 'partner' , I believe, is sailing under false colours, falsely and un-sportingly claiming entitlement to the sporting achievements of a now dead club!

You may wish to refer to the UK 'Companies House' website to check for yourself that Rangers of 1872 is 'In Liquidation' and that 'The Rangers Football Club' with which you are now partnered was incorporated as SevcoScotland  in 2012 and changed its name very shortly thereafter.

If you already knew this, then, I would say, shame on you for supporting the pretence that you are 'partnered' with a long-established , famous club.

The Rangers Football Club' of 2012 is legally NOT 'Rangers Football Club' of my grandfather's time, but a parvenu, claiming that to which it is not entitled.

I assume, of course, , that you did not know that you were being practised upon, because if you had known the truth you may have thought twice about your partnership venture.

On which note, let me express the wish that football in India may flourish at every level.

Yours in sporting Integrity,

John Clark

View Comment

37. RFC had two Indian players on trial back in November 2011.

Sunil Chhetri, one of the 2011 trialists, has Bengaluru links. There's no immediately obvious link with the other, Jeje Lalpekhlua.

Plenty on Google about them.

38. StevieBC 29th September 2019 at 12:29
    And as for TRFC partnering an Indian team…
    …………….
    Am i correct in saying it’s just a two year partnership?
    If so why just two years?
    ………
    …………..
    …..
    Will Bengaluru FC academy players have training trips to Scotland?

……………..
    ……….

39. Big Pink 27th September 2019 at 14:42

—————————-

This is the big story, in terms of Scottish and UK governance and for this blog, the mismanagement of Scottish football by the corrupt and the Quislings. I happen to know someone who has worked with Murray for many years, and your assessment is absolutly correct.

40. Macflurgy
    I am not in the least surprised. We live in a country of two directly opposing cultures and neither can understand the other. I subscribe to one culture and belief. That which holds in esteem the sense of community and devolved responsibility that values public services and is happy to contribute towards their cost. The other culture can’t comprehend that sense of community because it has little compassion for others.
    The Murrays of this world lack empathy, lack compassion, and truly believe that excessive wealth can only come about because of their own hard work; and that those not so fortunate only have themselves to blame for that.
    This should be the job of good governance, in football and elsewhere, to curb the excesses of greed. It should also be the job of their paid for hacks in the MSM, but instead they celebrate privilege, pour scorn on those who rail against it, allow greed to be normalised.

View Comment

41. Cluster One 29th September 2019 at 17:31 14 5 Rate This StevieBC 29th September 2019 at 12:29 And as for TRFC partnering an Indian team… ……………. Am i correct in saying it’s just a two year partnership? If so why just two years? Rangers say they will have an “active presence” in the Indian football market.Will this partnership give Bengaluru FC. an “active presence” in the Scottish football market? ……… The two-year deal includes a scouting link-up that will identify the best emerging talent in India. Will this two year deal as it is a partnership identify the best emerging talent in Scotland for Bengaluru FC? ………….. Rangers academy players will have training trips to India, and the Scottish Premiership club will hold soccer schools in Bengaluru. ….. Will Bengaluru FC academy players have training trips to Scotland? …………….. “This partnership opens up Rangers to the vast football community in India and provides a great platform for us to engage with our wider fanbase, ………. So this partnership that looks like it’s only going one way.This two year partnership with a six year old Asian side is going to open up Rangers to the vast football community in India

__________

Fear not CO, the purpose of this 'news' has already been served. That purpose is generally known as a PR piece, thought up by people at a different Level, and commonly known on blogs like this as a squirrel.

Now, whether or not this particular squirrel is related to any bad news about to break, I do not know, but the level of this squirrel may well point to an awakening down Ibrox way to the fact that they aren't really a big club outside of their own deluded bubble, and that a partnership with a fellow new club, in a not very advanced/flegeling/pretty sh*tty league, is about as good as it gets.

View Comment

42. Rangers* new partnership deal is a master stroke that opens the club* up to 1.2 Billion new supporters. It is expected that Indians will flock to be associated with the Worlds' most successful club* which already has an estimated 500 million fans globally. Even if just 1% were to invest a single rupee on a weekly basis then signing the likes of Christiano Ronaldo would become the new reality said a source close to the Ibrox boardroom. Rangers already have a working relationship in Asia and the far East as was evident when the Ibrox club knocked back a £20m bid for Golden Boot contender Alfredo Morelos. Shares in the holding Company are expected to multiply rapidly and Club 1872 spokesman said this is an ideal time for fans to invest wisely for the future . One enterprising Season ticket holder has already started a Rangers* based Hedge Fund in Brechin with a Luxembourg branch in the offing. The Empire is back thanks to Dave King

View Comment

43. If Gerrard keeps winning SPL games, and TRFC is still closely vying for top spot towards the end of the year…

there could be a serious period of frustration / reassessment for Gerrard.

We know the RIFC financials released next month are not going to be pretty.

What happens as a result is debatable.

But, IMO, it 'should' be fairly reasonable for Gerrard to be told there is no money for any signings – or even loanees perhaps – in the January window.

At best, it could be a scenario of 'sell a player first' before any squad additions could even be considered.

But, we saw that – even with an established, full-time Director of Football – TRFC couldn't punt either Morelos or Tavernier.

The MD Stewart Robertson admitted on camera to STV during last week that they haven't even started recruiting for Mark Allen's replacement…but they were still currently "taking stock" of the market / situation, whatever that means.

Ergo;

• nobody is currently sourcing / identifying players
    • there are [probably] no funds available
    • in January, a winning Gerrard might feel a bit unsupported by the Blue Room if he can't buy / trade players, in order to keep within touching distance of a potential, first SPL title.

Interesting times ahead, and no amount of SMSM spin will be able to cover up a seriously p!ssed off Gerrard…

and especially if he starts complaining to his England based media contacts.

44. Big Pink 29th September 2019 at 23:53

============================

Just like his heroine Margaret Thatcher. The greed we witness today is a direct result of what she put in place decades ago (in my opinion). It goes a lot further down the financial tree than David Murray as well.

PAYE is clearly for the little people, despite it underpinning our society. It is certainly not for everyone, and some elected politicians even fought to try and ensure Rangers players and David Murray didn't have to pay it – incredible but definitely true. Think about that  – everyone must pay tax under the law of the land, yet some elected politicians and many journalists wailed like hell when that law was applied to Rangers.

45. 'Cluster One 29th September 2019 at 17:31

So this partnership that looks like it’s only going one way.This two year partnership with a six year old Asian side is going to open up Rangers to the vast football community in India?'

###################################

There seems to be some serious money in the corporate structure behind Bengaluru.

I'd be interested to know where & when TRFC & Bengaluru's paths' intersected. One of TRFC's Far East-based investors perhaps? An IMG/Alistair Johnson connection? Something/someone else?

View Comment

46. J.J. that's interesting about the Indian club's backers.

And if I was being a really cynical Bampot…

I wonder if this unknown club, based in a country with relatively minimal interest in football…

will suddenly start trading players with TRFC for sizeable £ amounts…?  crying

I'll get my washing machine loaded.

47. Jingso.Jimsie 30th September 2019 at 16:11
    ……..
    Rangers academy players will have training trips to India,
    ………
    Getting the vaccines will give the young Academy players something to look forward to.

View Comment

48. If JohnJames is correct in his blog today then we should frame it, varnish it and hang it in Kelvingrove Art Gallery for posterity as it will be a rare work of art.

49. Timtim, absolutely!

Based on certain recent claims, another blogger has proven his sources are anything but reliable, and just plain wrong…

and resorted to a rather shameless fishing exercise. indecision

View Comment

50. ROLLS BUILDING COURT 24 Before LIONEL PERSEY QC sitting as a Judge of the High Court Wednesday 2 October 2019 At 10:30 AM (All Day) Directions Hearing CL-2018-000726 SDI Retail Services Limited v. The Rangers Football Club limited.

It's Showtime!

View Comment

51. Cheers JJ, so it's a directions hearing and not necessarily an announcement of the amount they need to stump up just yet ? A chance for Dave to kick the can down the road a bit further . The wheels of Justice turn slowly indeed.

52. Timtim 1st October 2019 at 16:57

===================

No idea how any of this works, but might this be the Judge asking if an agreed deal between the two parties has been made, and if not he will then give them a final date to do so and if not he will set the amount?

Comments are closed.